The ancient text of Chakra Samhita– the philosophy and logic behind the Indian medicinal system ‘Ayurveda’ places a special significance on the Vedic Science as a comprehensive method to deal with both curative and preventive aspects of various diseases, human anatomy, including the function and malfunction of a human body with respect to the tri-doshas (three body constitutions).
It is believed that various forms of headaches like tension headaches, sinus and migraine headaches are triggered due to the imbalance in Vata, Pitta, and Kapha Dosha.
As a result of daily unruly lifestyle habits and patterns, the dosha located in the head undergoes contamination and triggers a headache of diverse intensity.
Whether you are in the middle of road traffic, in-office or in the closed comforts of your home, dealing with headaches is never easy. Many a time when it comes to headaches, we do not take them seriously.
We think it’ll pass with a cup of coffee, or just by distracting ourselves in some work. At times, these quick fixes may work, but not all the time. There are many natural home remedies in Ayurveda that help soothe headaches effectively.
According to Ayurveda Expert Dr Dhanvantri Tyagi, “The best way to cure a headache is a soothing head massage. Dehydration is also one of the reasons for headaches in pitta type headaches. Keep sipping into water or healthy beverages to keep headaches away. Sometimes your headache is tied with cold & cough too. At this time, de-clogging your nostrils with herbal oils or ghee is very helpful.”
He also suggests some foods & herbs that may help too.
- Brahmi: The cooling herb is known to cut down stress & depression. Putting a few drops of Brahmi and desi ghee in the nostrils may soothe headaches.
- Tagar: Tagar (Boora sugar) is a hairy perennial herb with a long history of traditional medicinal use. You can use medicated oils/ghee for massage, or steep the herb in a tea for relief.
- Chandan or sandalwood: One of the age-old treatments to soothe headaches is to apply chandan or sandalwood paste on the forehead. Take half a teaspoon of sandalwood powder & mix it with some water until you get a paste. Apply this paste to your forehead & let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rock Salt: Sometimes, replacing common salt with rock salt may prove to be a better pick for treating severe headaches. Drinking lukewarm water with a pinch of rock salt is a good remedy for some types of headaches.
- Ghee: Desi Cow Ghee is one of the best home remedies for headaches. Those who have headaches should eat 4-5 black pepper daily in the morning and should drink two teaspoons of desi cow ghee. It gives a lot of comforts. You can drink ghee in a glass of light warm milk as well.
Headaches are caused mainly due to Vata, Pitta, and Kapha by the help of the types of headaches could help you in choosing the perfect medicine or home remedy.
Read More : Desi Ghee for Hair Health
Vata type of headache
Usually, Vata type of headaches have pain in the back portion of the head. The throbbing pain originates at the back and may travel from back to front. Tension in the neck, shoulders, back stiffness is also related to this type of headache.
What may help?
According to the book, “The Complete Book of Home Remedies”, written by Dr Vasant Lad, adding 3 to 5 drops of warm ghee in each nostril may provide relief from the headache. Always check your body is properly hydrated or not, sometimes dehydration may also be the reason for headaches. Mixing 1 tablespoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water may help in reducing pain.
Pitta Type of Headache
In the pitta type headaches, the pain originates from the temple area and spreads to the centre of the head. The pain feels like shooting and gets worse when standing out in the sun, or it may occur by eating spicy foods.
What may help?
Consume two tablespoons of aloe vera gel, up to three times a day, which could help you get relief from pain. By applying a cooling paste of sandalwood powder on your head could also have an immense effect on pain, or you can drink cumin and coriander tea.
Kapha Type of Headache
This typically happens during the winter or spring season. It triggers in the morning or evening and tends to get strike pain when you bend down, writes Dr Vasant Lad. This kind of headache is often bound with a jammed and congested nose.
What can help?
This remedy is applying ginger paste on the forehead to get rid of the headache. Sometimes, it may have a burning sensation due to the ginger paste on the skin. Consult your doctors if there is any reaction. Using lukewarm saltwater in the nostrils may help clear the Kapha and get relief from headaches.
Read our blog – Why The Pure Desi Cow Milk Ghee Is Costlier Than Normal Ghee?
According to the book, “The Complete Book of Home Remedies”, by Dr Vasant Lad, putting 3 to 5 drops of lukewarm ghee in each nostril may help soothe the headache. Do check if you are properly hydrated, sometimes dehydration may also trigger headaches. Mixing one tablespoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water may help. The “Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies” also recommends applying a paste of nutmeg powder on the forehead.
- Ghee or clarified butter is an amazing remedy for headaches. Use a little bit of desi cow ghee every day with hot rice and you will find your bowel movements getting increasingly regular. If constipation is the underlying cause of your headache, the daily use of a little bit of ghee can help you avoid chronic headaches.
- Another way to use ghee is to instil a few drops of ghee into both nostrils and lie down for a while when you feel the headache coming on. There is a type of ghee called Brahmi Ghee – ghee fortified with the medicinal herb Brahmi – that works very well on headaches.
- Desi cow ghee with jaggery (gur) also helps to ease headaches due to migraine. If you have a headache that increases or decreases according to sunrise and sunset, simply take 12 gm jaggery (gur), mix 6 gm desi cow ghee in it and mash with fingertips thoroughly. Now ingest this with warm water or milk. It helps to constrict blood vessels & control pain without medicine.
- If you are suffering from headaches, take some pure ghee of cow’s milk and mix a little amount of camphor (kapoor) in it. Then gently massage your head with this ghee; it gives relief from headaches.
- To treat the headache (sir dard) of migraine, the remedy of black pepper (kali mirch) and ghee has shown good results. Whenever you have a headache, firstly take 6-7 black peppercorns and grind them to make a fine powder. Then mix the powder with 1 tbsp pure ghee and ingest with warm milk. It will cure migraine completely if you take it regularly for two or three months.
If you frequently have headaches due to respiratory problems like- migraine, try the desi cow ghee remedy. Simply, take pure desi cow ghee and put 2-3 drops of it in your both nostrils twice a day.
Continue to apply this home remedy for at least 7 days. This is a very effective traditional home remedy that has no side effects. You can use it whenever you required it.
Benefits of Desi Cow Ghee
Rich In Vitamins
Ghee is rich in healthy fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, & K. These vitamins are important for promoting bone & brain health, and for boosting the immune system.
Desi ghee is a good lubricator of the joints and connective tissues; it enhances muscles flexibility. No wonder it is the main butter of many yoga practitioners.
Healthy Digestive Tract
Ghee converts fiber into butyric acid (butanoic acid), which is beneficial to intestinal bacteria. Ghee also helps to increase appetite, fostering better health.
Studies have shown that ghee can reduce cholesterol both in the serum and intestine. It does this by triggering an increased secretion of biliary lipids.
When the ghee is derived from grass-fed cows, the butter contains cancer-fighting fatty acid CLA (conjugated linolenic acid), which helps in weight loss.
Since it is made from the milk solids, the impurities have been removed, so people who are lactose intolerant usually have no problems consuming ghee. However, be sure to consult with your doctor before trying it.
Helps detoxify our mind
Desi cow ghee also helps detoxify our mind. Ayurveda suggest that desi ghee with some herbs do magic in remedy mental disorder conditions due to Veta and as key ingredient it’s sweet taste nourishes the nerve tissue and brain. Various studies have shown that utilization of desi ghee on a regular basis boosts mental health and reduces stress.
Ghee Has Higher Smoking Point
Unlike other vegetable oils, ghee has a high smoke point (it doesn’t burn as easily), making it ideal for cooking. This is due to Ghee’s stable saturated bonds, which enable it to hold its natural form during cooking. This makes Ghee excelling for sautéing, stir-frying and baking – it’s generally the best oil to cook with. It also lends a very rich and soothing flavour to dishes, which works well with both sweet and savory foods.
Doesn’t Spoil Easily
As the milk solids have been removed during the production process, ghee does not spoil easily. So it does not need refrigeration and can be stored at room temperature for several months or even years.