Methi (Fenugreek) has been used as a spice, herb, medicine and as a food for both humans and animals. Even though it is a cool-season product, it is grown in most of the part in the world with its uses considerably different to people’s awareness.
What is Methi?
Fenugreek is known as Methi by Indian. It is an annual herbaceous plant that contains three small obovate to oblong leaflets with light green color and tiny white or yellow flowers. The plant methi grows upright with high about two to three feet tall. The plant produces yellow-brown flowers that form beans containing fenugreek seeds, these seeds are pungent and aromatic.
Methi role in Ayurceda?
Fenugreek is called Methika in Ayurveda; it has been used as medicine for thousands of years for the treatment of arthritis, wounds, abscesses, bronchitis and for various digestive disorders since ancient times.
Methi has been advisable internally in many conditions such as asthma, high cholesterol, diabetes, fevers, digestive problems, impotence, cancers and externally for swellings, burns and mastitis. It has also been advised for eaten in winters to improve immunity and to protect heart, brain and other vital organs inside the body through its medicinal properties.
Health Benefits Of Methi Seeds
- Cure Dandruff : As Methi (Fenugreek) seeds contain protein and nicotine, it can be extremely useful for hair fall, dandruff and help to treat various scalp problems like dryness etc. It content Lecithin, which hydrates the hair and provide strength to hair roots. Regular application of these seeds will not only remove dandruff but will also help in gain shiny and long hair
- For Hair Growth: Methi seeds for hair growth is one more beneficial effect. It is rich in amino acids thereby helping the hair growth and maintenance in innumerable ways.
- Control diabetes : Methi seeds contain fiber and other chemical that may help to slow down the digestion process. Slowing the digestion process will improve the body’s ability to absorption of carbohydrates and sugar. This way, the fenugreek can help the body to improve the uses of sugar and increase the amount of insulin released.
- Control acne and acne scars : It is because of the fenugreek’s diuretic action that helps to eliminate toxins through the digestive system, rather than the skin. Eliminate of toxins through skin generally can cause infections like acne, thus can help in reducing acne. It additionally fades acne scars beyond unrealistic measures beside this burn mark can also be treated with Methi’s seeds.
- Weight control : Drinking methi juice, or chewing methi seeds in an empty stomach can help you to find your calorie cravings departing. Methi seeds are loaded with fiber, which lead to an effect of fullness.
- Cure Cold in Winters : The latest finding about fenugreek reveals that it may be the key to fend off cold virus, and the herb has been appreciated as a “fix-all elixir” owing to its strong anti-viral properties.
Researchers have found that it could kill viruses that cause sniffles and sore throats, and helps relieve symptoms.